Here's how to make it:
3 strips bacon, diced small, uncooked
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 tbsp vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp dried basil (approximate)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (approximate)
Salt and pepper
1/2 pound GF penne pasta (Tinkyada)
2. Add the onions and garlic to the bacon and drippings. Saute over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the vodka to de-glaze the pan and burn off the alcohol (about 2 minutes).
4. Add the tomatoes, simmer for 5 minutes, then puree the sauce with a handheld immersion blender.
5. Add the cream and spices, simmer for 5 minutes, and season to taste with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it out by adding a little bit of reserved pasta water.
6. Toss with GF pasta (boiled until al dente and strained) and serve.
P.S. As you've surely noticed, our photos include more than just penne pasta. We didn't have enough for dinner one night, so we added some rotini as well. Flexibility!